Friday, August 8, 2008

Last Dance...

Wednesday afternoon was a beautiful day at Granny's. I walked in the door and the room seemed brighter as the sun shined in through the front window. My uncle Tom had the bed tilted so Granny was sitting up. And to my suprise, she was wide awake... and had been all morning. She had eaten her applesauce, some pudding and drank some water. To our amazement she was a "new" person with hope and energy. I stood at the end of her bed with my hands on my hips and was talking to Denise (a caregiver) and my Uncle. When suddenly, I caught movement from Granny out of the corner of my eye. She was "mimiking" me by placing her arms on her hips. I smiled and asked her if she wanted to dance. She moved a wee bit back and forth and started singing! Uncle Tom, Denise and I were amazed once again at her jubilant character. I walked over to her and embraced in the most memorable and loving hug as she pecked at my cheek giving me numerous sweet kisses...

This will be my last visit with Granny. I'm at peace with her passing and I have shared my feelings with her. I will leave my Dad, Aunt and Uncles to be at her bedside from here on out. At first I was scared and unsure to get involved, frightened that my last visions of Granny will be of her in her weakest moments... and unsure she wanted me to be there. My heart, however, couldn't stay away. I needed that time with her. I am grateful, very thankful and have the most wonderful vision of her to carry with me forever.

I know she feels the same... she thanked me with her sweet kisses, warm hug... and our last dance!

No comments: