Thursday, August 14, 2008

Fourth of July on August 14th...

As I stare at this blank sheet of paper
I’m screaming for inspiration…
Usually, this comes pretty easy
but with a heavy heart and blurred eyes
my vision and inspiration is somewhat lacking…

I try to pull all my memories together but they seem to blur
not a grey dulled blur… but a blur of bright pinks, turquoise and purples…
This splash of color in my mind is my vision of you …
always dressed to the nines… high heels, suits, hats… the perfect accessories to match and all in bright colorful hues.

Another vision flashes in my mind…
a turquoise box Santa would always leave in your stocking.
When I think of this box, I get an instant wave of your “scent” for it’s not the box so much in my memory, but the perfume it held and how it flowered your house and your skin with a beautiful sweet essence…

I hear songs… those from movies such as Guys and Dolls, Gigi, Easter Parade…
Oh how we loved watching Fred Estaire dance with all his ladies… and how we wished we had their legs… and the grace and beauty of Audrey Hepburn. All the romance, music and dancing would just capture our hearts and whisk us away.

And how could I forget the Charleston… you and me in the kitchen… what a hoot!

I can’t keep up now… the memories are racing through… flashing, sparkling, like
Fourth of July fireworks in my mind: A celebration of you!!!!!!

Peanut Butter on potato chips
15-2, 15-4, 15-6 and a pair for 8
Purple,
Haagendas ice cream
the scent of gin and cashews on your breathe
cocktail napkins and coaster
Purple again
Shoes, shoes and more shoes
Bloomingdales and "Needless Markups"

As the fireworks come to an end, I smile… for my once blank white paper and blurred vision is now a colorful work of art and a celebration of your life and fond memories I get to take with my all the days of my life..

We will meet again… until then, I ask you to be my angel and guide me the rest of my journey.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your memories are an amazing gift Le. Keep them close, write them all down and always share them with anyone who will listen.
I am hear when you need me.
Sha

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing. You are in my thoughts. Love you, JP-T

karey m. said...

oh. my. gosh.

this was stunning. breaks my heart. well written. even better lived.