Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Flip of a Switch...


Okay... so I'm blessed with a "devil child". Yep, that's right... a little crazy 2.5 year old princess who seems to have turned evil queen. Equipped with a full head of hissing snakes, a nose wort and screeching, high-pitched yelp (one the neighbors 2 miles away can hear as it stops all life existing outside of our walls). Or should I say blood curdling scream?

This morning, Olivia definitely woke up on the "wrong" side of the bed. The left side to be exact. She came staggering into the bathroom, sporting her saggy pull-up and a wild mess of a mane. She rubbed her eyes and gave me the sweet and innocent morning grin that I love so dearly. She took her "poo-up" off and put it in the trash like a good little girl. We headed to her room to get the wipes and freshen up for the day. When I told her to pick out her panties, she immediately turned devil child... I mean, instantly... like the flip of a switch. I was truly amazed at this blood curdling scream coming out of this precious little girl.

The noise that bellowed out of this child was so loud and muddled, I could not understand WHAT she was screaming about. She was pointing to the top drawer where we keep her "poo-ups" and jumping up and down. I calmly asked her... "you want a pull-up?" Her red-faced reply... "YES!"

"Oh, but honey, you are a big girl and you pee in the potty. You only wear pull-ups at night."

Woo! NOT the thing to say...

So, this literally went on for 35 minutes while trying to get out the door and make sure big brother gets to Kindergarten on time. THE GIRL HAS BEEN PEEING IN THE POTTY FOR A GOOD 12 MONTHS. I was beside myself and it was taking every bit of energy I had not to lock her in a closet and come back later!!!! (okay, you know I really wouldn't do a thing like that, right?).

Not realizing Troy hadn't left for work and was outside watering plants, I was even more taken back when he walked inside and looked at me like I'm some incapable mother. The nerve of him, in such a dumbfounded way, to ask what could possibly be making such a precious little girl act like such a ferocious BEAST. He was amazed and couldn't believe how HIS "little pumpkin" was acting. HHHHHHHAAAAAAA...UUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG! Now you see what I go through, was my reaction and an added smirk as I walked past and let him handle the situation.

I gave him a clue, whispering, "Tell her she can put the poo-up on her baby."

Needless to say, it worked. Baby got to wear the pull-up and the devil came out wearing a pretty pink dress and her pretty dress up shoes...hair tamed down and all. We got Owen to school in time, the devil in her princess costume went to the sitter and I got to work, sipped my coffee and took a very DEEP, DEEP, DEEP breath!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Leah!! I think I'm glad I have boys! I don't know how you do it!!! LOL!! Trent found your site and we added you to our list of friends, hope that's okay!! Great Pic of your granny!
See you at the football game!
The Motycka Crew